Change
I've been in quite a funk lately, professionally-wise.
And today didn't help.
As I got out-processed from my Reservist stint today, the last four days of looking forward to getting back to working on ads consolidated and became very...intense. Then I realised that while I was dying to get back to work, I was so NOT dying to go back to the office.
And to make matters worse (or better, depending on how you look at it), I had a tutorial for AWARD school today too. And just being there, sitting in the conference room with Richard Copping from Saatchi & Saatchi, and indeed more so Tom Ormes from Publicis in the weeks past....well, it really came together today and made me realise what I've been missing.
True, I've always felt a strong longing for an art director partner, someone to share and conceptualise with, but today I also realised how much I'm missing by not having a creative director or a senior writer to guide, encourage and nurture me/my ideas, the way my tutors have been doing all this while. Someone to make me WANT to do good work for them, as well as for myself. Someone to say "good work!" and cause me to beam like a bloody fool for the rest of the day.
I am grateful and appreciative of where I am, and the opportunities afforded to someone as junior as I am. But sometimes I'm wondering if there could be more elsewhere. Does that make me greedy? Ungrateful for wanting to leave? I'm still struggling to answer those questions and many more myself.
In the meantime, anyone looking for a copywriter?
And today didn't help.
As I got out-processed from my Reservist stint today, the last four days of looking forward to getting back to working on ads consolidated and became very...intense. Then I realised that while I was dying to get back to work, I was so NOT dying to go back to the office.
And to make matters worse (or better, depending on how you look at it), I had a tutorial for AWARD school today too. And just being there, sitting in the conference room with Richard Copping from Saatchi & Saatchi, and indeed more so Tom Ormes from Publicis in the weeks past....well, it really came together today and made me realise what I've been missing.
True, I've always felt a strong longing for an art director partner, someone to share and conceptualise with, but today I also realised how much I'm missing by not having a creative director or a senior writer to guide, encourage and nurture me/my ideas, the way my tutors have been doing all this while. Someone to make me WANT to do good work for them, as well as for myself. Someone to say "good work!" and cause me to beam like a bloody fool for the rest of the day.
I am grateful and appreciative of where I am, and the opportunities afforded to someone as junior as I am. But sometimes I'm wondering if there could be more elsewhere. Does that make me greedy? Ungrateful for wanting to leave? I'm still struggling to answer those questions and many more myself.
In the meantime, anyone looking for a copywriter?